Just like Letterman has his top 10, I figured I wanted to have my own!
This is by no means the ultimate list, but it includes some solid tips that can help you make better and more sustainable gains. There are many overlooked tips which we all know about yet just don’t follow through on or simply forget about.
As the very wise Yoda said: “Do or do not, there is not try”. Good ol’ Yoda….dude knew his sh@t!
So, with out further ado, here is the quick and simple top 10 list to better strength and health:
1.Drink more water. 2 litres per day for a good starting point, more if you are active and work out in the hot sun. Eight 250ml cups per day is 2L, pretty attainable. Even though coca-cola has water listed in the ingredients….this should be a no brainer! 😉
2. Squat. Straight forward….KING of all exercises.
3. Get adequate amounts of sleep. 7-9 hours each night. During sleep your body re-builds/grows/and recovers from the stresses of the day (workout, pollutants etc.). Go to bed the same time each night and wake up at the same time each morning. A 15-20 minute power nap during the day can do wonders if you can fit it in.
4. Eat more fruits and vegetables. The benefits and need should be obvious! Organic is best.
5. Get outside more, get some sun (vitamin D), sprint, and enjoy the outdoors.
6. Grip the bar/dumbbell TIGHTLY for each exercise…you’ll be surprised at the added strength/power/focus this gives you when training.
7. Deadlift…tied for KING of all exercises (see no. 2).
8. When eating carbs, be sure to eat ‘clean’ (eg. sweet potatoes, quinoa, etc).
9. Cut out processed foods: if it comes in a box, stay away (unless it’s a box of strawberries). 😉
10. Train (squat/deadlift especially) barefoot! Or at the least, buy a pair of chuck taylors or vibram 5 fingers. Cross-trainers, as comfortable as they may seem, are unnatural and you are more stable training barefoot. Just be smart when loading/unloading plates! 😉
So there you have it! These are not the only tips to live by and I will be adding to it sporadically as there are many more to add, but these ten are a great starting point. No rocket science!
Start incorporating these tips by selecting one, or a couple, into your daily routine and you will be on the path to greater strength and health.
Hit me up with some of your own top tips in the comments section!